Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kitten Dance

So as a special treat this week I took some video footage of the kittens! They're just bumbling around the bathroom, doing what they do best which is be cute and fall over. Please excuse all the clicking noise, the lens cap is attached to the camera and I didn't realize how loud it would be. I'll make sure to remove it for the next video. Anyway, here they are being adorable!




Oh god, the bathroom tile looks extra gross. Its not my fault! I just rent!

Anywho, things with the new kittens are progressing. One of the little white males, whose shelter name is Pigeon, is showing more signs of being sick than the others. I can hear him breathing and sneezing more and he had a lot of discharge from his nose. He lost an ounce over the course of two days so I am watching him extra carefully and bottle feeding when I can. The daily weigh ins and recording of weight are really helpful in showing me who needs the special attention. The little buff tabby who I call Hamster is having some issues with her eye and it is crusted shut. I have been wiping it clean and I have some eye drops for her but if I need to take her in to the vets at work that is no problem either.Everyone else seems to be doing well, still sneezing but they are gaining weight or staying steady. I am so glad I have a pet scale here!

The biggest problem we have had this week is poop, and that is why there is video and no pictures. This is going to sound gross to a lot of people but one thing you have to be ready to deal with when taking care of baby anythings is poop. This week the kittens are learning how to go on their own. In the first weeks of life the mother cat would stimulate the babies to go, but eventually they have to learn to go on their own. Well that does not mean they are exactly litter box trained. Yes, my bathroom was a mess when I came home the other day. Its alright though, that is why they are in the bathroom, its easy to clean! I am going to try a tiny shallow litter box for the babies and hope that they get the idea. I think that part of the problem is that Mama Bones is a little overwhelmed with so many butts to clean, so they kind of had to figure it out for themselves. The other problem is that when they go they later walk through it, and now they all need baths. And let me tell you, even with a bath a white kitten is going to look messy. Good thing today is my day off and I can start this poopy project...

I changed the name of the blog this week because I realized that I really don't use this too much as a personal blog. That is not to say that I won't occasionally post something personal or something other than kitten news, but I felt that I should be more specific with the title. Any non-kitten related things will be posted between kitten updates, and I have some fun ideas for things that I want to cover in between the weekly kitten update. So primarily, this will be your weekly update of cuteness, but I'll try to mix it up. I mean, people have to get sick of hearing about kittens sometime, right?

2 comments:

  1. I like that around 45 seconds the one kitten shakes his head and topples over hahaha. Comments work fine when I use Safari instead of firefox. I don't understand whyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something nice...