Well, its only been half a week since we got the new babies but so far so good. Wednesday I noticed some of them sneezing and by Thursday morning there was a choir of tiny sneezing kittens. Luckily, it wasn't anything the vets could not take care of! Since mom and the babies had been there only two days before, the vets were able to just make up some medicine and I went and picked it up. Everyone is getting doxycycline once a day as well as steam treatments whenever Mike or I shower. The nice part about having the kittens in the bathroom is that we can use the steam from the shower to break up their congestion, just like you would if you were sick, with a vaporizer in the room or even a hot shower for yourself. The down side is that with a radiator in the bathroom (yes, my building's radiators are STILL on) and a hot shower the room gets REALLY warm. Since you are really supposed to keep kittens out of a chill breeze, and it is definitely chilly the last few days, I have had to keep the bathroom window almost entirely closed. The bathroom is a sauna. Good for kittens, not so great when I want to do my makeup or brush my teeth!
Mom is starting to open up to me more. The first couple days she was very quiet but now she meows or coos at me when I enter the room. She has learned what the can of food looks like and the sound it makes when it opens and she has a great appetite. She is extremely skinny so we are feeding her as much as we can to try and put some meat on her bones, and also so that she will be able to continue producing milk for the babies. I have started calling her "mama bones" because she is just skin and bones. The other kittens have not really earned nicknames except for the orange one who we call "Guinea Pig" and the buff tabby who we call "Hampster" because that is what they look like. The others are going by their shelter names for now, but their personalities will be developing every day so I look forward to watching that.
![]() |
| Mama bones |
![]() |
| Guinea Pig |
Well, that is it for this week. Everyone is gaining weight or staying steady, but since they are sick we are not out of the woods completely with these guys. By Tuesday if everyone is still doing good I will feel a lot better because that will be our one week mark. Usually anything that is going to go wrong will happen within the first week. I just have to keep up with them for now!





No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me something nice...