I was putting off making a "goodbye" blog about Zelda and the babies, and that is why I did not post last week. So I suppose I should update everyone. There is kind of a lot going on right now.
Sunday I took Zelda and the kittens in for their big vet visit. Zelda was an angel, the kittens... not so much. The vet asked me what kind of spices I feed them because they were just nasty little devils. They screamed for their exams, blood draws, and microchips (granted the microchips come out of a really big needle) and were pretty surly in general. Two of the boys, Goron and Gerudo, weighed in at about 2lbs 5oz. Zora weighed 1lb 13oz and Navi weighed 1lb 10oz. The kittens have to be 2lbs for surgery so Navi and Zora didn't make it. I was sure that Navi would not, she is way smaller than her brothers, but Zora surprised me. I was sure the little bugger would make 2lbs!
 |
| My little man |
Well, Zora and Navi came home with me and I will take them back next Sunday to try again. In the meantime they are enjoying freedom from the bathroom. They try to get along with my cats and my cats do their best to ignore the kittens. I heard that Snurfle was trying to play with them a little bit, but I think she is getting jealous because she is used to being the baby. All I have seen her do is hiss at them.
 |
| Bye-bye sweet boy |
Zelda, Goron, and Gerudo all got surgery Sunday and everything went well. I felt so bad because the kittens were all really scared to be in cages in a strange place. Remember, they had never even left my house at this point, so this was all really freaky for them. Zelda handled it well, she was just sweet as pie to anyone who came near her. One of the vets told me that when they were putting Goron under anesthesia he started screaming and Zelda started calling to him, telling him that he was going to be okay. She was such a great mom! It was hard to leave Zelda and the boys at the shelter overnight, but on Monday morning all three of them went to the adoption center in hopes of being adopted. Yeah, I cried.
 |
| From the first week... |
Goron and Gerudo were adopted Monday afternoon... together! It makes me SO happy to know that my baby boys were adopted together because they will never have to be lonely or scared. They will always have each other and so I feel like they will be more comfortable figuring out their new lives. Of course I have convinced myself that the family who adopted them is rich as hell and that they will have all the best kitty toys and snacks. Zelda has not been adopted yet, but it is a lot easier to adopt out 8 week old kittens than it is year old cats. I actually saw her at the adoption center today when I was doing a transport for work. She isn't doing great in the cat room (our adoption center has free roam rooms, not cages) because she is not used to being around a lot of other cats. I gave her some love and a pep talk and the cat manager assured me that she would take extra special care of my baby and try to help her get acclimated to her new temporary home. I am waiting patiently with my fingers crossed, someone will realize how awesome she is and take her home. She will make someone as happy for the rest of her life as she made me happy during our time together.
 |
| Such a pretty girl |
So what is next? Well. We were going to take a break from fostering. Were.
Tomorrow I am getting a mother and her five kittens. One of the vets at work asked me if I was looking for a new foster, because there is a mom and her week old kittens at ACC (Animal Care and Control) who is slated for euthanasia this week. The vets put her on hold hoping to get her into the cat study that they are doing but she didn't qualify, and unless we intervene she and her babies will be put down. The vet didn't pressure me, nor would she have had to, I just knew that this was the right decision to make. The mom cat is sick which means the kittens will probably get sick, so this could be a really difficult foster. I am afraid of losing the kittens because they are so young, but I am also not going to sit around knowing that I could have tried and didn't. If we lose every kitten... well that will suck really bad. But at least I will know that I gave them the best that I could. I might need some prayers on this one guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me something nice...