A friend called me a few weeks ago with a dilemma. She works in rescue as well but she deals mostly with dogs, and one of her friends had found a kitten. The day she called me happened to be the exact day that I had emptied my house of all fosters. Mike was less than thrilled about the idea of me bringing a new kitten home. He is worried about panleuk now so we had to make a deal, I asked my friend if she could foster the kitten for a week or so while I worked on Mike. Eventually he came around, and with the kitten being fostered for a week we could be pretty sure that she wasn't sick. So, Friday night my friend brought the kitten over, and in a few weeks when she is big enough I will take her in to work and she will become part of the shelter and find a forever home.
She is adorable! My friend was calling her Jean Gray, so that is what we started calling her. Mike quickly turned her into Jean Bean because she is so tiny, and I shortened it to just Bean. She is very small to be away from her mother but she is doing just fine. We are estimating her age to be about three weeks old because she can use a litter box and eat some solids. She is eating baby cat food, which is special food for tiny kittens who are not getting nourishment from mom, and I give her a bottle every once in a while just to make sure she is getting enough to eat. I also try to mix KMR into the food because I want to make sure she is getting all of her vitamins and such so that she will grow up healthy and strong. Bean is very lovey and likes to cuddle. She reminds me a lot of Scruble because she will curl up on your neck and purr and knead with her paws.
And boy is she LOUD! She is such a whiner! Whether she is exploring or being held she always seems to have something to say in her squeaky baby cat voice. She is too small to have free reign of the house so I have a crate set up for her but she gets plenty of exploration time when I am home to watch her. As she gets bigger I will be more comfortable letting her roam the house, but for now she doesn't even mind being in the crate. My cats don't mess with her, except for Buu who has to hiss every time Bean comes near her, but that is just Buu.
So I guess I am not done fostering, which makes me really happy.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me something nice...