Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Island of Misfit Cats

Ahhh sorry about the hiatus, loyal readers! I was called away to Detroit on some very important business.

A lot has happened since my last update. I had to say goodbye to the eight little babies that belonged to Mama Bones. On the plus side, most of them have been adopted already! My friends Coall and Adam took the little white female named Octavia, her new name is 456. She was named after a race of aliens, I assume from a Doctor Who episode. The others trickled out one or two every day or so. There are three left at the shelter and unfortunately its the three who I bonded most closely with. I don't understand why they didn't go first! Nothing against the other kittens because I love ALL my babies, but the ones left at the shelter were actually the three loviest, purriest, kittens. There is a big adoption event this weekend though, so I have hopes for all of my babies to find new homes!
Mama Bones is still hanging out with me. The vet said that she was still too skinny for surgery, which did not surprise me one bit. The vet also wanted her to "dry up" because she was still storing a lot of milk even though the kittens were not nursing as frequently. I don't mind having Mama around. She is pretty good at ignoring my cats, although every once in a while there is a hissing and swatting match. Nothing ever breaks out into a real fight and I have hopes that I can find her a home with one of my friends who only has one other cat. Mama Bones is starting to put on weight a little at a time, I will probably only hold on to her until next Wednesday and then we will send her for surgery! She is a very sweet and mellow cat.
Scruble aka Scrubbly aka Zora
I have decided that my house is the Island of Misfit Cats. I took home a new foster baby this week. His shelter name is Shamy but I call him Shamwow/Shamwowzers/Shamalamadingdong. He had a broken leg and went into another foster but this week he was returned and they took his cast off. The vet wanted him to "rough house" and play with another kitten, so I took him home because I still have Zora (aka Scrubbly). Zora loves him and Shamy seems to like it here. He is still not using his leg as much as I would like, but I have to bring him back for the vet to see him again in a couple days. I don't have a lot of hope for him keeping the leg but Spyrit only has three legs and he gets around just fine!
Shamy and his bum leg
 I'll try to be more diligent about updating since I don't have any more big trips planned until the end of the summer. Look forward to more pictures and probably some more spotlights (because I have to finish introducing my cats!) along with whatever neat things I end up doing. I am debating starting a personal, non-kitten blog to put my other adventures in but I have not made a final decision there. Either way, there are always plenty of kittens in my life which means I will have plenty to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something nice...