Almost to the two week mark and everyone is doing great! The babies are opening their eyes and I have dubbed them the Tiny Peekers. Their eyes are blue and their sight right now is very poor as it develops. Their pupils do not dilate either, so they are sensitive to light and I am still housing them in a covered carrier. In about another week their ear canals will open fully.
 |
| It is hard to get them to stay still! |
They are still entirely helpless at this point.. well I shouldn't say that. A kittens primary defense is their tiny razor sharp claws. At this point they have hardened and are not retracting yet, so they can scratch you up pretty good. I'm fairly sure that tiny kitten claws are more deadly than full grown cat claws. They can scoot around and pick their heads up a little bit but they kind of resemble bobble heads. Its been hard getting good photos of them because they don't stay still long enough and I don't want to use a flash.
 |
| The tiny lady. |
The kittens senses are not fully developed, but they are starting to respond to noise and movement. Its very slow, kind of like someone who just woke up, but its noticeable. They know Zelda's voice and they are getting louder too. I am still weighing them daily, the biggest one is 11 ounces! At this rate they will be 2lbs (minimum weight for surgery) in a week or two! Of course, they must be a minimum of 8 weeks old for surgery as well. We still have a ways to go with this foster family. Also, I am 99% sure that I was right, and we have three boys and a little lady. Since I don't really know their personalities yet, I do not have names for them, but I am leaning towards Navi for the girl, for obvious reasons.
Zelda is getting bored being locked up. The room she has here is infinitely bigger than the cage she would have at the shelter, but I know that things get tedious. I try to go in and keep her company so that she isn't so restless. I am going to get her a wand toy so that we can play and get her some exercise while she is on mama duty. Zelda has toys in with her, but the hall and bathroom are narrow and she ends up spilling her water and food when she gets really riled up chasing them. Mostly, she just wants love. She is going to make someone very, very happy someday. In the meantime that person gets to be me!
THEY ARE SO CUTE
ReplyDeleteI AM DYING
I'm glad all your babies are doing well!